Wednesday, September 21, 2011

International Day of Peace


 So apparently today is the International Day of Peace. Nobody mentioned it today on team so I'm assuming nobody else knew. I just found out and I'm about to go to sleep. Makes me laugh for some reason.



"The arc of universe is long but it bends towards justice" - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
I want this to be true. Some days, like today, I have a hard time believing it. I've been reading about Troy Davis who is scheduled to be killed in a few hours by the State of Georgia. I also read about the victim of the crime Mr. Davis is accused of committing. A off-duty copy who tried to break up a fight. He was shot and killed. The man's kids are around my age. They grew up without a father. Palestine is trying to gain member state status in the U.N. but it probably won't happen. The occupation will continue and the U.S. will continue to give military aid. The situation everyday in Iraq is depressing enough. Traditional Kurdish culture continues to be a major victim of the on going conflict between rebel groups vs. Turkey and Iran. People are killed and displaced regularly. The man who housed us when I visited the San Pedro Frio mining community last summer with CPT recently received a death threat. So yeah, I have a hard time with the quote above but I don't want to give up hope.
 I don't even know what to say at this point. I feel like I should have some inspirational shit to type here but I don't. Maybe the alternative to caring and trying to bear witness to the Kin-dom of God is giving up. Maybe move on and "grow up". Forget that. I don't have anything else to say so I'll leave you with this.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment